Financing urban projects is one of the main challenges of city management, particularly in the developing countries. Economics and urban finance studies urban areas and uses economics tools to analyze issues related to urban land use, urban housing, urban transport, municipal infrastructures and facilities, and urban finance. Traditional methods of financing cannot meet increasing needs of urban life; therefore, it is necessary to use modern methods.
In this regard, banks can invest in municipal projects having both public and social aspects and considering environmental considerations in order to play their social role to help city management. On the other hand, city managers, particularly in metropolises, require a level of scientific, up-to-date, and capable banking system, as a trustee consultant, to help them in economic, monetary, and financial processes according to their activities. In other words, we should know important challenges of electronic banking in order to take step toward modern banking by presenting functional strategies since modern banking services are required because of citizens’ expectations in today’s relatively electronic cities.
Today, E-banking means an integrated system that includes monetary and city management services in the form of a single and centralized system.
A set of information about banking and urban finance from a global perspective is a part of innovative plan including 10 items introducing banking concepts and categories focusing on all conceptual and operational issues addressed by IUESA.
Items constituting this set are as follows:
- Urban finance management: achievement of top purposes operationalization of different ideas for financing urban sustainable revenues, and designing sustainable urban economy model require creating new financial knowledge and investment or urban finance management. It is necessary to develop required literature, identify assets with new concepts, present strategies and methods of changing types of material and spiritual assets into revenue, and finally develop and expand financial management methods to new types of resources and assets, and revenue and cost.
- Municipal budgeting: the quality and structure of the budget, adjustment with administrative organization, restrictions on continued accounts and their abilities to present the value of fixed assets, and inventory of public properties at the end of each fiscal period are the most important points in new system of municipal budgeting.
- Policies and taxing systems in the world: today, sustainable development for metropolises is an inevitable need. The study of the world experience indicates that municipalities’ financial resources are consisted of taxes, duties, and governmental aids.
- Fiscal system of health in the world: financial and investment domains are one of the instances of social banking in the health arena.
- Top banks and financial centers in the world
- History of banking development
- Risk management in the world: it consists of determining, measuring, observing, and controlling types of risks. The main purpose of risk management in every organization is presenting the best performance, optimizing capital use, and maximizing stockholders’ asset value. Studying available information in this field, it can be concluded that the issue of risk and its management has been considered and risk can be proposed in every arena. One of the most important of these domains are banks since they collect peoples’ savings from one hand, and they perform banking operations by using these resources on the other hand; therefore, different risks influence on financial structure of the banks regarding continuous changes in environmental factors and economic systems.
- Financing urban projects: today, financing is one of the most important issues in the achievement of urban economy projects. Developing economic activities in different urban areas has leaded to lack of investment resources; thus, it is necessary to study financial resources of different urban projects precisely. Studying investment methods in various municipal projects in the world can be useful in financing urban projects in the country.
- Urban and banking international exhibition: it includes full content of conferences and exhibitions as well as schedule and venue of each conference and exhibition in the field of banking and economy.
- Banking and urban finance books.